2011-02-26

Utility STOL competition rethink

So instead of trying to replicate a real aircraft, what about trying to using the rules to the maximum?
 Since you save weight by having a small fuselage (even though I think that sometimes this would result in a heavier structure, I have experimented with things like this. The thinking behind the twin fuselages is that I'll get the second engine's nacelle "for free" by doing it like this. Also, there's only one nose gear to save weight.

Flies and handles pretty. But weight didn't reduce as much as I had hoped and drag is probably not that important in this case.

Looking at the weight calculation spreadsheet it becomes obvious that payload does not influence empty weight at all. What this means is that I think you have to design for the maximum payload. With a fixed Cd shape also doesn't mean much.

No comments:

Post a Comment